You must have already successfully completed a BSAC Sports Diver course (or qualifying certification from another recognised training agency).
What you'll learn
You will learn dive leadership skills through 12 classroom lessons, seven open water dives, two dry practical lessons and 20 dives (which may include the open water lessons) in a range of conditions. The BSAC Dive Leader course covers the role of the BSAC Dive Leader, Dive Planning and Management, Delayed Surface Marker Buoy (DSMB) use (mid-water deployment), dive leading demonstrations, basic life support with Oxygen administration and practical management of diving incidents, casualty assessment, dive planning, shot recovery by simple lift and review of rescue skills.
Qualification and what that means
A BSAC Dive Leader is defined as a diver who:
- can plan and lead a range of dives including those requiring detailed dive, gas and decompression requirements planning.
- has rescue management skills.
- is competent to manage and supervise branch dives to locations well known to the branch.
- can conduct dives with divers of any grade, to expand their experience beyond that previously encountered by those divers, under the supervision of a Dive Manager.
- can conduct experience building dives with trainee Ocean Divers, within the restrictions of the conditions already encountered by the trainee Ocean Diver, and under the supervision of a Dive Manager.
You will be given a pack as part of your course which includes all the learning materials you need for the BSAC Dive Leader course. The pack includes: Qualification Card application and an A5 binder with your Student Diver Notes and the Dive Leading Manual.
At this stage in your diving development you will most already own much of your own diving equipment such as mask, fins, snorkel, BC, regulators, computer and DSMB. We would also recommend some other items (if you don't have them already) including:
- Waterproof first aid kit
- Diver safety pack
- Dive management boat slate
The cost of the Dive Leader Course is £200