A basic level of comfort in the water is important and you will have to demonstrate that you can swim 200m in swim-wear.
What you'll learn
The BSAC Ocean Diver course has three main stages:
- Lessons and theory assessment on the basic principles of scuba diving
- Five confined water dives to learn the basics in the water (usually in a swimming pool)
- Five open water dives to further develop your scuba diving skills
The fun bit
Will hopefully be from start to finish! Learning to dive is a life changing experience for many people. Breathing underwater for the first time is something you will never forget and the experience of learning with others is great fun. Your instructor is trained to look after you every step of the way.
Qualification and what that means
A BSAC Ocean Diver is defined as a diver who is competent to conduct dives:
- To a maximum depth of 20m.
- With another BSAC Ocean Diver or with a BSAC Sports Diver, within the restrictions of the conditions already encountered during training.
- With a Dive Leader or higher grade, to expand experience beyond the conditions encountered during training, under the supervision of a Dive Manager.
- Not requiring mandatory decompression stops.
- Under the on-site supervision of a Dive Manager with respect to site selection, conditions and dive plan.
You will be given a pack as part of your course which includes all the learning materials you need for the BSAC Ocean Diver course. The pack includes: The Diving Manual, BSAC Qualification Record Book, Qualification Card application and an A5 binder with your Student Diver Notes.
Swimwear and towel.
Although the diving equipment is provided, Ocean Diver trainees may wish to buy their own mask and snorkel. You may also wish to use a pool suit for added comfort during the pool lessons.
The cost of the Ocean Diver Course is £310. This includes your Newmarket Divers membership (£90), loan of club equipment, and Ocean Diver Manual and Logbook. If you are not already a BSAC member you will also need to join the BSAC at a cost of £60.50.
Please download and complete this medical form. You must give it to your instructor prior to any in-water work. If you answer 'Yes' to any of the questions you will need a fit to dive medical, from an approved diving doctor. If this applies to you, please us contact us for names of local diving doctors.
Planned dates for the next Ocean Diver Course
|TBC||Ocean Diver Theory 1|
|TBC||Ocean Diver Theory 2|
|TBC||Ocean Diver Theory 3|
|TBC||Ocean Diver Theory 4|
|TBC||Ocean Diver Theory 5|
|TBC||Ocean Diver Theory 6|
|TBC||Ocean Diver Theory Assessment|
|3.9.2021||Ocean Diver Pool Module 1 (OS1)|
|10.9.2021||Ocean Diver Pool Module 2 (OS2)|
|17.9.2021||Ocean Diver Pool Module 3(OS3)|
|24.9.2021||Ocean Diver Pool Module 4 (OS4)|
|1.10.2021||Ocean Diver Pool Module 5 (OS5)|
|8.10.2021||Ocean Diver Pool Module 6 (OS6)|
|23.10.2021||Ocean Diver Open Water Modules 1 & 2|
|24.10.2021||Ocean Diver Open Water Modules 3 & 4|